The OpenTheremin is a modern version of the legendary theremin instrument invented by Lev Theremin back in 1920. The theremin is played with two antennas (included in this bundle), one to control the pitch and one for volume. The electronic design is built with two heterodyne oscillators, same principle as the original Theremin. In this newest version 4 of the OpenTheremin, the Arduino compatible micro-controller is built in, pre-programmed and no soldering is required. The on board auto-calibration, linearisation and high quality digital to analog audio converter make this a real playable instrument (stand alone, does not require a computer to play). The characteristics of the sound can be changed by a hex wave table.
The more than 10 years of experience in building good quality and affordable digital theremins lead to this new and improved design:
- One board design with integrated Arduino, pre-programmed, no soldering required
- Pitch and volume antenna with excellent linearity and digital auto-tuning (one button press)
- State of the art USB-C connection for powering, easy access side mounted connectors
- Sensor Button for mute and automatic calibration.
- 8 preprogrammed audio wave forms and 3 registers can be selected
- Two control voltage (CV) outputs for pitch and volume to connect to other devices
- Threaded inserts for stable mounting of the antennas and full aluminum tripod mount
- Waveform can be reprogrammed freely (stored in a look-up table)
- Can be powered by battery
- Completely open source hardware and software (OSHWA Certificate CH00001)
The Kit includes the assembled, programmed and tested electronic board as well as mechanical parts to set up the OpenTheremin.
Included in the kit:
- OpenTheremin V4 electronic board
- Volume and Pitch antenna (two parts with connector)
- 2x Antenna plugs / 4 mounting screws and washers
- 4x potentiometer shafts (6mm, click in)
- Aluminum tripod mount (1/4″ UNC thread)
The antennas are made from anodized 6mm aluminum tubing and fit well with the theremin design and connectors.
USB power adapter, cables and tripod are NOT included. Any USB-C cable and power-adapter from a smartphone will work.
See also OpenTheremin V4 Deluxe Bundle.
Comes with printed build instructions.
FREE SHIPPING worldwide.